Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Indifference '08

America is a supposed democracy. As in, the people are supposed to be able to make their voice heard and then the leaders are there only to represent the people. As with every system of government it is imperfect. When I was younger I believed in the "white pedestal of power" where any leader was automatically to be trusted and followed, from parents to the president. I somehow got the idea that if you were in charge of something that you were different than me. As I've grown you begin to see flaws in your leaders - the pedestal shrinks little bit, until its on your level - and then it keeps on shrinking.
As we approach a momentous time - that of the presidential election - I find that I am more knowledgeable about the world, America, myself, politics, law, etc. than I have ever been. I've actually taken the time to figure out who stands where for the primaries, (I even started to suffer through political debates but I realized that my sanity was more important than the blathering that I heard) and yet, I couldn't care less who wins the election. Because any candidate is going to be as bad as any other. Nobody reading this blog needs a lesson in American politics (if you do you shouldn't be reading blogs - you should be studying), both of our parties are so alike that the candidate winning will be different in name only. Neither party is particularly interested in solving problems in any real sense, neither party is interested in helping normal people in any real way - both are interested in their own survival. Which returns me to my beginning, America is a supposed democracy - a place where the people have a say. But when the people are being manipulated in such a way that they are choosing to accept the status quo we don't have a democracy, we have an oligarchy.
Don't forget to make your voice heard. Vote for President!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey, you're writing again. That's wonderful.

I love the quote on the picture. I have spent too many long hours trying to develop more effective techniques of manipulation. And even more hours trying to undo the damage that resulted.

Anyway, I'm glad you're writing again (even though I didn't comment on your writing, only someone elses).